"I think it was my parents' example of quietly impudent self-assertion that gave me the idea that I could be a writer, or at least that I could go out there and try.  I never recall my parents expressing any worry whatsoever at my dreams of becoming a writer.  If they did worry, they kept quiet about it - but honestly, I don't think they were concerned.  I think they had faith that I would always be able to take care of myself, because they had taught me to.  (Anyhow, the golden rule in my family is this: If you're supporting yourself financially and you're not bothering anyone else, then you're free to do whatever you want with your life.)

Maybe because they didn't worry too much about me, I didn't worry too much about me, either.

It also never occurred to me to go ask an authority figure for permission to become a writer."
-Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert

No comments